CIMIC Group’s Geoview software, a proprietary solution developed in-house, simplifies the process of managing and storing construction site data, making it easier for engineers to monitor the performance of built and existing structures, improving safety outcomes while reducing risk.
Developed by EIC Activities in collaboration with CPB Contractors, the solution is used to verify design inputs and monitor safety performance. It captures, processes, and then displays data captured from monitoring instruments in a graphical format.
Geoview was first developed by Dr Darren Huang at EIC Activities. Darren is now at CIMIC working with a team of in-house developers to continuously upgrade and integrate Geoview into CIMIC’s larger data acquisition platform – Sensgrid.
“Because we are interacting with the ground in very large areas during the construction of major infrastructure projects, we use many instruments to measure the impact our structures have on the ground and adjacent structures,” Dr Huang said.
“Traditionally data was managed manually, but, as you can imagine, if you have to capture all the data in a manual way it is extremely time consuming and laborious to input, process and manage it all.”
“Geoview software simplifies the process of managing and storing construction site data, while displaying it in a graphical format that is meaningful for engineers to act upon.”
Some of the benefits of Geoview include:
- Web-based application: there’s no need to download any software - you can just go online and type in your user details to use the system
- Multiple data sources: Geoview can accept data from hundreds of different data sources and is not limited to any specific system or app suppliers
- Mapping functionality: using GIS mapping, Geoview can display where all the different monitoring points are on a live map while outputting graphical data
- Notifications by email and SMS: Geoview can send out notifications if an instrument exceeds a certain level - so you can quickly and proactively undertake inspections
- Easy access and support: Access to the application is very easy to request, as is support for the product.
Idy Li, Principal – Geotechnics at EIC Activities, is a strong advocate for Geoview and is actively involved in providing feature requirements for the upgraded version GeoSensgrid.
“Geoview was developed by civil engineers, for civil engineers. It presents the data in a way that is useful and meaningful for designers, site engineers and clients to understand how each structure is performing.”
“For example, multiple graphs can be displayed together to compare measurements between the relative height of an embankment and the settlement of the ground.”
“Every civil construction project should use Geoview you will notice the benefits immediately. Our engineers at EIC are always available to provide support to site teams.”
Geoview has been used on many key CIMIC Group projects since it was first developed in 2014.
The CIMIC Group development team is currently redeveloping Geoview and integrating it into CIMIC’s data acquisition platform Sensgrid.
The upgraded version, renamed as Geosensgrid, will include multi-tenancy/multi-project hierarchy, a new user interface, better API coverage, self-service administration, granular and configurable security, and will be highly scalable – this is to ensure Sensgrid becomes the data acquisition tool for the Group.
Current projects using Geoview now will be migrated to Geosensgrid when it becomes available.